My latest [dwj] books

Gross Family argross at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jan 24 22:10:37 EST 2002

Rebecca wrote, among other things:

> Also Book Rec: Haydon's _Rhapsody_ -- an Epic Fantasy (which I usually
> hate).  In my opinion quite good.  There are cliches, but overall I'm
> finding well written with a number of creative ideas and it's not slow at
> all! Even working over 40 hours a week, I have read over 500 pages of it
> in 5 days!  Yay!

I'd like to second that recommendation, Rebecca. I've also read the second
in the volume, _Prophecy_, and it gets even better. I've just received the
final volume, _Destiny_, in the mail, and I'm looking forward to getting
stuck into it. I agree that the trilogy is firmly in the generic epic
fantasy niche, but it does some interesting things with some old ideas, and
has a lovely romance to boot (which flowers in the second volume). I think
the framing device it uses, which turns out to be important to the plot,
makes it special enough to stand out from most epic fantasy.

Ros