Hexwood

Mon Jan 21 15:56:43 EST 2002

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:01:28 +0000, christian nutt wrote:

>>From: Melissa Proffitt
>>
>>I think it's because Vierran's mind magic ability is, according to Mordion,
>>very strong.  Everyone else seems to completely forget who they really are
>>until the "game" is over.  Mordion remembers the truth, but that's because
>>he can't break his conditioning unless he does, so I think that's part of
>>the Bannus's program as well.  Also, the Bannus is able to control only so
>>much; it can't fundamentally change people's personalities.  Hence
>>Vierran's
>>curiosity about whether her cousin Siri really is as bubble-headed, deep
>>down, as her Sylvia personality implies.
>>

>well, it's not just vierran who starts to figure it out. since the test is
>designed to be solved with people with reigner powers, others start to crack
>it apart.

But she's the only one who's really aware from the beginning that time is
going askew.  Everyone else "eventually" figures it out.  What I mean is
that in Vierran's case, it's not just the normal effect of the Bannus in
operation.

> sir john, for example. and even though he doesn't immediately
>realise it, hume/martellian begins to figure out who he is while the game's
>still on; he figures out the dragon is orm and taunts him without even
>realising what he's doing.

I don't see that as him really figuring out who he is.  He realizes that the
dragon really, REALLY hates him, and starts calling him Orm without any
explanation for it--it doesn't even occur to him "hey, I recognize this
guy!"  He doesn't even realize that the antagonism is mutual.  But I agree
that eventually the situation begins to break down, for whatever
reason--either because it's meant to happen that way or because the illusion
can't be sustained for very long periods of time.

For that matter, the way the Bannus's purpose is originally described
suggests that people weren't meant NOT to know the difference between
reality and fantasy.  In the first place, it's described as a machine that
presents scenarios and allows you to make decisions by playing the scenario
repeatedly and making different decisions each time.  If you're not aware of
which choices you've already made, and why you didn't like the way they
turned out, it's not a very useful machine.  Its actual purpose is to ensure
that the selection of Reigners would be absolutely fair, which might mean
that some of that first statement isn't true.  So either the Bannus changed
the rules in order to get revenge, or the Reigner selection process really
did require that the candidates forget reality for a while.  Possibly the
point is to strip away who people think they are, based on their
circumstances, and reveal their true character.

Melissa Proffitt