Hexwood

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jan 21 09:13:03 EST 2002

Spoiler space for "Hexwood"...

.

> Is it necessary that they are in the field on the homeworld for the
> Bannus's plan to work, or could it make them all come to Earth by
> causing trouble there without already having them under control, the
> way it looks like?

Interesting question.

My first thought was that, as the Bannus was committed to making
events outside its false limits happen as if those limits were real,
we can assume that they would have happened the same way if the Bannus
truly was limited to Earth.

But then I thought: can we? The events outside the apparent limits of
the Bannus field need not be exactly the same as they would have been;
they need only be plausible. The Bannus could get away with all sorts
of little nudges as long as it was careful not to make anyone
suspicious.

And, now I think of it, the Bannus implies that it is responsible for
Orm's idea of shipping all the dissidents off to Earth. So that's one
nudge there's evidence for.

> And why does it wait till Mordion is on Earth to start breaking his
> conditioning?

Breaking Mordion's conditioning goes beyond a little nudge and falls
well into the realm of "making people suspicious", methinks.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."