Best of 2001

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Mon Jan 21 06:45:59 EST 2002

[Several people dislike Huff's Sing The Four Quarters"]
Ros wrote:
>I'm going to have to be a renegade again and say that, contrary to quite a
>few people on the list, I really, really liked _Sing the Four Quarters_ (I
>completely forgot to say this in my list!). What did I like about it? The
>characters, the way they are *naturally* bisexual, without any hand-waving
>or fuss; the world it's set in with its magical system--I found the whole
>thing quite charming. I enjoyed the others in the series, too, though I
>found numbers two and three in the series a bit less enjoyable than the
>third and last. But the second and third contained that delicious idea of
>two souls inhabiting the same body (or something along those lines--my
>memory is a bit unclear about it).

I liked it as well; I didn't pipe up when people were saying they didn't
becaue I read the series a fair while ago, and I have found a lot of my
likes and dislikes have changed, so I wanted to reread them. I think the
first was my favourite- I very much liked the world and society all of them
were set in, but I liked the main character of the first book, and her
relationships with her co-protagonists, better than the other ones. STFQ was
the first Huff I read, so I didn't have the experience (which I think a
couple of people mentioned) of expectations based on her other series. I'd
say these are worth a try.
Jennifer