Hexwood

The Venkarel venkarel.geo at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 11:53:59 EST 2002

--- Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 04:24:12 -0800 (PST), The
> Venkarel wrote:
>

> >--- Paul Andinach <pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au>
> >wrote:

> >> Hexwood below.
> >>
> >> Do we need a spoiler space, do you think?

*snip*

> At the end, when the Bannus confronts Orm Pender, he
> tells Orm that in
> revenge for the way he cheated and got an extra
> thousand years as Reigner
> One, he waited and plotted until he could get
> revenge.  Then he spread his
> field through the communication lines all the way to
> the House of Balance.
> Every one of his (its?) plans of action was designed
> to end in Reigner One's
> death.  Right up until I read this part, I assumed
> that the Bannus's field
> having extended farther than anyone knew just meant
> that it went as far as
> the hotel Reigners One and Three were at.  But what
> it really means is that
> the ENTIRE BOOK takes place within the Bannus's
> field.  I think the first

That makes a lot of sense--though it was only able to
nudge them, not plunge them full-tilt into another
environment like it did at Hexwood Farm, right?

> >BTW, what does it mean to be half-lifed?
>
> Wasn't that in reference to the creatures that
> served the Reigners, the ones
> that were failed Servants or something?  I'm
> remembering the part where
> Reigner One starts telling the other Reigners about
> the Reigner rebels being
> stashed on Earth, and there are the
> two...things...that get very excited and
> one of the other Reigners puts them to death.  I
> picture something like
> people who've been modified until they have human
> awareness but mostly
> inanimate form--or something like that.  Or like
> that Door thing in
> ElfQuest, if you've ever read that.

Sorry, not familiar with ElfQuest.  The reason I ask
is because the Bannus is made of half-lifed Reigners,
I think.  Which is one reason why it is so vengeful
after Orm circumvented the system.  And why it has so
much power. I feel that Orm perverted a lot of things
when he took over--like using half-life-ing to turn
those failed servants into statues.  There must have
been a respectable use for half-life-ing before.

Venkarel