Hi

Daphne Lee daphne at thestar.com.my
Thu Jan 17 23:23:03 EST 2002

Thanks to everyone for the lovely welcome.

Well, I finished Hexwood last night. Wow!

I might read the archived messages to make sure I don't repeat myself *too* much. I think I also need to re-read certain parts of the book to make sure I have everything straight!

It's certainly a very exciting book. Just a couple of things off the top of my head:

I preferred Ann to Vierran. I haven't worked out exactly why, but basically I warmed to Ann more. And perhaps because you get to know Ann much better than you do Veirran (I'm not even sure if I've spelt her name right).

I found my imagination working over time when it came to the description of the training of Mordien and his siblings. What was done to his sister? Has DWJ ever commented on this?

I can imagine some people thinking that Hexwood is much too violent a book for children, but it does reflect in a realistic way the things that go on in our real world -- oppression of the weak and ignorant, suppression of the truth, abuse of power and the corrupting effect of power. It's a good way to bring these matters to the attention of kids.

MOre later.

Daphne

Daphne