OT: Perilous Gard (spoiler question)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Jan 17 15:51:51 EST 2002

>Question for those who have read this:

>The premise of the whole book seems to be that the fairy folk are
>all human with totally reasonable origins of their culture.  Then
>WHO is the long grey spidery man who turned into a long dead bundle
>of bones at the end????  This seems not-human!?

Seems a good question to me.  I'm not sure I'd put it quite the way
Jacob put it, but as I thought over it, it seems that the explanation
about the normal humanity of the Folk under the Hill is the one
worked out by Christopher and Kate.  And although everything Kate
sees of their power has a reasonable explanation (either hypnotism or
drugs based on herbs), the answer doesn't necessarily even satisfy
Kate totally.  I'm thinking of the part at the end where she says
that she wouldn't want to put out to sea in a boat made from the
Dancing Oak.  And that reaction of hers has no reasonable
explanation, any more than the Creature does.  I don't know if that
would help at all, unfortunately.

Hallie.