Comics and More (was Re: Best of 2001) (OT)

Thu Jan 17 00:49:26 EST 2002

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:28:51 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:37:59 -0500 (EST), deborah wrote:
>
>> > Sandman gets less dark is the series continues, but it began as a
>> > horror comic, and one of the earliest issues has a really really
>> > extremely nasty self-mutilation scene.  I would start with
>> > something lighter, personally.  Or start in Sandman, mid series.
>>
>> I agree.  The whole episode that takes place over a 24-hour period
>> in a diner is just nasty and brutal.  I wish I hadn't read it.
>
>I've read where Gaiman says that episode is the most truly horrific
>thing he's ever written, and even *he's* a bit worried about it.

That makes me feel better about him.  I shudder to think that it came out of
ANYONE'S mind.  What really worries me is the secret horrible fascination I
feel about it--which is why I won't read it again.

Melissa Proffitt
(who, with Paul and Deborah, has probably contributed to a lot of people
going "ooooh, I wonder what's so bad about it?" and rushing out to read it
immediately)