Comics and More (was Re: Best of 2001) (OT)

Wed Jan 16 12:50:42 EST 2002

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:37:59 -0500 (EST), deborah wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Gross Family wrote:
>|If Sandman is *very* dark, I might try something else first. Then again, it
>|depends on what kind of dark...
>
>Sandman gets less dark is the series continues, but it began as a
>horror comic, and one of the earliest issues has a really really
>extremely nasty self-mutilation scene.  I would start with
>something lighter, personally.  Or start in Sandman, mid series.

I agree.  The whole episode that takes place over a 24-hour period in a
diner is just nasty and brutal.  I wish I hadn't read it.  (Also the one
about the serial killers' convention.)  It's fairly easy to start in the
middle of the series, and if you're worried about not understanding later
references to those early issues, use _The Sandman Companion_ to catch up on
what you've missed.

Melissa Proffitt