Best of 2001

Elizabeth Parks mep3 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Wed Jan 16 07:33:51 EST 2002

Ros said (of Evelina):
"Sounds interesting! Wasn't the novel actually mentioned in _Northanger
Abbey_  _The Romance of the Forest_ by Mrs. Radcliffe (I've forgotten her
first name)? I'm not sure. My daughter was studying those kinds of gothic
books in her uni course last year; I think they were comparing them with
Austen's books and looking at the role of "the gothic" in them (I'll have
ask Zoe; my memory seems to be getting worse and worse)."

Ann Radcliffe--wrote lots of gothic novels and did a lot to establish
women as authors.  I, coincidentally, am taking a course on the Gothic
Novel this coming semester, and have just gotten the list of books.  It's
very nice, after this _past_ sememster, to read books old enough that
they're public domain and therefore mad cheap.  We will also, it seems, be
reading Northanger Abbey, which I'm quite looking forward to as I've never
read that one.  The one I'm not so much looking forward to is Dracula; I
read it in second grade and was so scared I hung onions by my window.  We
didn't have any garlic, but from what I could tell they looked similar.  I
seem to remember hanging a carrot or two as well--it's a root, you see.
My parents, thankfully, were not unamused.

One thing not on the list (I'm not entirely sure it fits the category) is
Rider Haggard's work.  I've been curious to read that ever since I read
Elizabeth Peters' _The Last Camel Died and Noon_.  She's also the one who
inspired me to read _The Prisoner of Zenda_, even though I'd liked the
movie when I was little as well as read the story multiple times as it is
presented in Simon Hawke's time travel series "Time Wars."  And since I'm
vaguely on the topic, does anyone else love _The Count of Monte Cristo_?
I'm afraid of the movie, but I do want to see it.

And, speaking as someone who never actually read the Lord of the Rings, I
just want to say that I thought the movie was gorgeous.  There were
several times during it when I wanted to get down on my knees and thank
_something_ that John Williams had not composed the music.  I have read
the Hobbit, and my father and his siblings were all _very_ into LotR, so I
knew the basic stories and characters (my older brother Bill was called
Bilbo Baggins until he was about nine, at least at home); I think I liked
the movie more than they did.  Too much with the fighting, a few missing
characters; a friend of my younger brother's complained that there wasn't
enough violence.  My mother got up and left because all the violence
really bothered her.  I want to see it again, and I have placed the LotR
trilogy on my READ list (a place they have been on and off of many times).

Ooh, ooh!  ObDWJ: I crack up every time I read Hexwood when I get to the
part about hobbits.  Love that.

	. . . have we ever discussed the idea of games involving real
people as used in Hexwood vs. Homeward Bounders?

lizzie

If you have a gun, you can shoot one, two, three, five people; but if you
have an ideology and stick to it, thinking it is the absolute truth, you
can kill millions.

				--Thich Nhat Han, "Being Peace"