Comics and More (was Re: Best of 2001)

Gross Family argross at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jan 16 06:39:04 EST 2002

Paul wrote:

> The stationery section of supermarkets and department stores might be
> worth a try, too. I saw the hardback of tAAoKaC in Target a month or
> two back.

Thanks for the suggestion, Paul. I would be really, really surprised if
Target or K-Mart here stocks *anything* like that, though. (They basically
stock the bestsellers, that's all.)

> > [more snipped here]

> > > Do you like these?  I do, and I have no idea why, because I can't
> > > tell where she's going to end up half the time.  They seem like an
> > > extended rambling rather than a coherent narrative.  Apparently
> > > this isn't a problem, but I sort of assumed it would be.
> >
> > It's interesting that you say this, because I've been thinking along
> > similar lines. I haven't yet read the sequel, _Past the Size of
> > Dreaming_, but I enjoyed _A Red Heart of Memories_, although I kept
> > feeling that something was missing.
>
> I felt the same. _A Red Heart of Memories_ wasn't bad, but I
> definitely prefer the short stories.

Have you read her earlier books, _The Thread that Binds the Bones_ and _The
Silent Strength of Stones_, though? They feel much more...I don't
know...passionate? weighty? than _A Red Heart of Memories_.

Ros