OT Lord of the Dilemmas

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Jan 15 21:34:10 EST 2002

Erin wrote,
>   The one that
> really gets me though is that I was telling my dad how I had always
> disliked Boromir because he was seems so flawed, so weak in Tolkein's
> writing, but in the movie you see him as a person, and potentially a
> really good one at that, who is driven by very serious needs - his land,
> which he loves with all his heart, is horribly threatened and beginning to
> fail.  And here is this amazingly powerful ring which could (as he sees
> it) save all he loves.  When everyone tells him it can't be, that the ring
> must be destroyed, does he rage and try to steal the ring?  No, even
> though he through the heart of him thinks it is wrong, he still helps on a
> quest he thinks is complete folly.

I didn't like Boromir much when I read LOTR (the last time I read it
was 1978, I have been giving it an extraordinarily long rest, in the
way of a book I always knew I would read again, rather than a book
that had fallen out of favour or that I'd "grown out of". The only other
book(s) that come closer are the four by ER Eddison which I last
read in 1983.) That was a ridiculous parenthesis, sorry. Back to
Boromir, the film does bring out the sympathetic reading so well.
As I was implying above, I think being older helped me to
understand him a lot better. I was, in fact, amazed at how well
Sean Bean played the part. I didn't expect him to make a bad job
of it but I guess I thought he was too blond (hair dye) and too
young (I was remembering a younger SB).

Actually I'm amazed at how much I liked the whole film, I have some
nitpicks and gripes of course (I did not like the music) but overall
they did a great job. I liked the ring wraiths as seen when Frodo
was wearing the ring, the mock fight between Boromir and Merry
and Pippin, and Ian Mackellan's Gandalf (though I'm not awful keen
on the staff duel), and Ian Holm's Bilbo, the scenery, Sean
Bean.......... In short I want to see it again. And the thing is, that is
astonishing, since I'm not fond of films and I can, literally count the
number I have sat down and purposely watched, from start to
finish, on the fingers of one hand. Shall  I tell you or shall I make
someone ask? OK then, The Shining, Laurence of Arabia and High
Noon.  Hmm but it's not so astonishing when I consider that I
wouldn't mind watching Heavenly Creatures again (also Peter
Jackson directed).

Erin
>as a  kid, my favorite character was Frodo

I do so wish my mate hadn't pointed out film frodo's resemblance to
her sulky ex boyfriend, I really do.

.  As a young teenager I loved
> Legolas and Aragorn (I WANTED to walk on snow!).  As a twenty-something I
> really appreciated Samwise (he has a really good head on his shoulders!),
> and I admit I was kind of annoyed by Frodo.  Now, and I think mostly
> because of the movie, I really feel for Boromir, the one character who is
> truly human, and the terrible position he was in....
>
> so, sorry to be so late in replying to this, but I couldn't resist!  The
> movie had amazing visuals and was a pleasure to watch, but more
> importantly to me it's gotten me thinking about new aspects of the
> characters that I hadn't considered before.  Yay!

Seconded.
                                           Ven.

almost everybody is boring some kind of reader or other

Pamela Dean Dyer-Bennet