Comics and More (was Re: Best of 2001) (OT)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Tue Jan 15 14:20:20 EST 2002

Jenwa said...

> There are 75 issues of Sandman, plus two 3-issue
> series featuring Death.  Each Death series has been
> bound into its own volume, and there are 10 Sandman
> bound volumes.

And I have the lot!  Including "Brief Lives" in hardback, signed by
Mr. Gaiman himself where he did a sketch of Dream.  <preen>  <show
off>

> It is good, though not entirely
> essential, to read the Sandman volumes in order.  The
> exception to this is the last two volumes (The Kindly
> Ones and The Wake), which really should be read in
> order, and after having read all the other volumes.
> The first volume in the series is "Preludes and
> Noctures."

Be warned though:  if, like Hallie, you don't much like dark stuff,
you will probably not like Sandman - I lent her "Preludes and
Nocturnes" and she didn't like it at all.  There is some pretty
graphic violence in this and other Sandman books.  (Not to mention
creepiness...)

> Ob DWJ: One of the other comics Neil Gaiman worked on
> was The Books of Magic, and in the front of the first
> volume he mentions Diana as one of the four witches
> (the others being, iirc, Terri Windling, Patricia C.
> Wrede, and Jane Yolen).

And DWJ, in turn, dedicated "Hexwood" to Neil Gaiman.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"Where-e'er you find 'the cooling western breeze,'
In the next line, it 'whispers through the trees':
If crystal streams 'with pleasing murmurs creep,'
The reader's threaten'd (not in vain) with 'sleep'"
-Alexander Pope, "Essay on Criticism"