OT: Lord of the Dilemmas.

Erin McMullin erm8 at psu.edu
Mon Jan 14 18:00:13 EST 2002

Hi all - I haven't written in ages and ages, and the message I'm replying
to is old as well (I haven't read my dwj mailbox for about a month!)  BUT
this message below is EXACTLY what I discussed with my father over the
phone last night!  First, that the movie wasn't perfect (which I think
ultimately pleases me, because it allows me to keep all of my own images
and ideas), second, that the second viewing was much better because I
wasn't so damned worried about it - "will it be ok????".   The one that
really gets me though is that I was telling my dad how I had always
disliked Boromir because he was seems so flawed, so weak in Tolkein's
writing, but in the movie you see him as a person, and potentially a really
good one at that, who is driven by very serious needs - his land, which he
loves with all his heart, is horribly threatened and beginning to
fail.  And here is this amazingly powerful ring which could (as he sees it)
save all he loves.  When everyone tells him it can't be, that the ring must
be destroyed, does he rage and try to steal the ring?  No, even though he
through the heart of him thinks it is wrong, he still helps on a quest he
thinks is complete folly.

  As a kid, my favorite character was Frodo.  As a young teenager I loved
Legolas and Aragorn (I WANTED to walk on snow!).  As a twenty-something I
really appreciated Samwise (he has a really good head on his shoulders!),
and I admit I was kind of annoyed by Frodo.  Now, and I think mostly
because of the movie, I really feel for Boromir, the one character who is
truly human, and the terrible position he was in....

so, sorry to be so late in replying to this, but I couldn't resist!  The
movie had amazing visuals and was a pleasure to watch, but more importantly
to me it's gotten me thinking about new aspects of the characters that I
hadn't considered before.  Yay!

~ erin