Saffy's Angel

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon Jan 14 16:20:04 EST 2002

This is Becca, writing after WAY too long (I could say I've been busy
with school, but then I'd be lying. So let's just leave it at that.)
My mom has been asking and asking for me to write with my book
recommendation so I will!

One of my favourite authors in the whole world EVER is Hilary McKay,
and I discovered her almost completely all by myself. Mom bought a
book of hers from Scholastic book orders when we were in Tucson but
never read it, and I picked it up about 3 years later. I loved it so
much that I even forked out FIFTY WHOLE PENCE for the next book in
the series (it was the Exiles series, and I read The Exiles first and
then The Exiles at Home) in a used book shop, and I bought the third
book in the series, The Exiles in Love, for a ferry trip to Holyhead.
The books are really amazing. Not amazing like literary amazing, but
amazing because the people are so real and interesting and cool and
hilarious and eccentric, and everything is so perfect and touching
and funny.

(I read all the Exile books so many times that when Mom came to read
them to Cara, I would constantly stop her because she wasn't saying
something right or in the right tone of voice for the character.)

I got her most recent book, Saffy's Angel, for Christmas. It's even
better than the Exiles series. I really loved it.

I ALSO got There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom for Christmas, by the
author of Holes, whoever that is. Louis Sacher or Lois Sacher or
something. Anyway I thought it was even better than Holes, and I
stayed in the bath for so long I was BLUE until I finished it.

Becca