Polly and Tom

Sophie Liebregts s_liebregts at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 13 13:04:34 EST 2002

 --- Sally Odgers <sodgers at tassie.net.au> wrote: > A
discussion of F&H popped up on another list, and
> Dorien Gray posted such a
> great answer to someone's query about how Polly and
> Tom finally escaped
> Laurel. With her permission, I'm reposting it here.
>
> Sallyo.
>
> The query was;
> Why do Polly and Tom manage to cheat Laurel?

It's great to see this explanation as I never was
euite "explicit" about that one either. Great post and
great re-post! I also have a little comment, which may
or may not be a shameless attempt to drag my fave DWJ
book into this discussion. BTW I hope this post isn't
duplciated as there are some e-mail problems as I am
forced to e-mail from internet cafe for a while which
will also explain my erratic posting pattern.

<SNIP> Spoiler space still in operation also for
Homeward Bounders.

> Dorien explains -
>
 > .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> spoiler space...
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
 The only way to free him is to deny him all aid, and
the only way to do
> that is to take
> away the one thing that he was absolutely positive
> was truly his -
> Polly's support.

Isn't this similar to the part of Homeward Bounders
where hope is used in a similar way to bind someone?
This is also one of these pars that I only had
instinctively and couldn't articulate. I think it is
one of the most beautiful parts of all the books. Did
I mention this was my fave one.. :-)It is really
devious when you think about it, how these positive
things are turned against people by DWJ's baddies.
That's why they are so convincingly bad, I suppose.

Sophie