Warning: discussion of m/m fanfic (Was: Re: Japanese fanart for DWJ (Was Re: intro & Howl and re:japan edition of charmed life))

Elizabeth Parks mep3 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Sun Jan 13 11:39:08 EST 2002

you may not wanna read this part: m/m relationship discussion and spoilers
for Howl

I really think that a relationship between Howl and Califer could be
developed.  Especially in the vein of earlier yaoi like Zetsu Ai and Ai no
Kusabi and even Gravitation where somebody gets raped or loses an arm or
what have you in what seems like punishment for their sexuality.  The
Howl/Calcifer relationship which has unhealthy elements (well, look what
happened to the witch of the waste!) could easily be made to have a
romantic/sexual element.  As for Calcifer not being human, well, any
inventive storyteller could think of a way around that, esp since Miss
Angorian turns out to be a fire demon.

Other than that, well, if there aren't enough male characters, they could
always dub some of the females with male voices a la Sailor Moon!

lizzie

btw, what I said before (right below this) about not liking it?  I just
happen to have a strong sentiment for Sophie and Howl as a couple.  One
reason given for the predominance of yaoi in anime/manga fandom is the
lack of good female characters (Gundam Wing, anyone?) and Sophie certainly
does not match that description.  Imo, the Sophie/Howl thing is more
romantic and more perfect and makes me believe in more than any of those
big pink bodice rippers.  I just have an aversion to the thought of
Howl/Michael, for example, because Howl/Sophie is so perfect (though the
first time I read the book it somehow took me by surprise.  Good surprise.
I didn't catch on until the scene in the garden.  Maybe that's one reason
I like it so much).