Polly and Tom

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Sat Jan 12 03:59:19 EST 2002

Hi, Marie;

  I'd be really grateful if you'd tell us about this other list and how to access/join it. I'd like to see the F&H discussion in full, as well as the excellent posting here.

  F&H is my favourite DWJ in its own right.

  I love F&H; it's my 3-equal favourite.I find something new every time I read it. I particularly like the way Polly's view of Tom changes. She, and thus we, the reader, see him as middle-aged at first, but later she realises he's younger than she (and we) thought.

  , but having taught both Children's Fantasy Lit and later medieval English lit before (early) retirement, I feel an additional curiosity about the hinterland of the book.

  The Tam Lin / Thomas the Rhymer stories have been used often, but they come up freshly after each treatment. I love the Power theme - and though I'm not a feminist, I enjoy the heroine's strength being shown to such advantage.

  Sallyo

  http://www.sallyodgers.com