Best of 2001

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Jan 4 18:02:03 EST 2002

[Apologies if this comes in twice - got the gave up message first
time so it shouldn't]

Melissa:

>  >Most fun reading - possibly Janet Evanovich, _Seven Up_, which I
>>refuse to put in the guilty pleasures category.
>
>Funny, I don't feel guilty about Evanovich either.  I suppose because
>romance novels carry this sort of disreputability about them that thrillers
>don't.  Or possibly I just have unattributed guilt to parcel out.  :)

Lol.  JE *did* start life as a romance writer, as you probably know.
I'd love to find some of her romances, or at least hear from someone
who's read them.  I think the chances of any ever turning up here are
small, so I'd have to order them from the States.  That would make it
a guilty pleasure!

Oddly enough, fate or something seems to want to fill my guilty
category for 2002.  I went to AlexLit, got a set of recs (which I
haven't done for a while), went through about 5 pages rating a few
things - nothing even remotely romancey.  Then I went off and
searched a few books and then got recs again.  The first book on my
list *had* been an Antonia Fraser, The Cricket Term_, I think, but
the second time that was number three.  Number one was a Laura
Kinsale, Flowers in/of/for the Storm (something like that - I've read
it, just can't remember the title exactly) and the second was a Mary
Jo Putney.  How weird is that?  Then I went to Amazon, and on my
books home page there was a big old bodice-buster cover picture -
didn't even catch the name though I did notice the "sensuality
rating" was a 9.  Probably too much for me...   :)

Hallie.