Best of 2001

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu Jan 3 15:23:00 EST 2002

Robyn replied to Hallie...

> >Most disappointing is probably Tanya Huff's _Sing the Four
Quarters_,
> >bought after the rec by DWJ on the official site.  With a
recommendation
> >from her, I thought it couldn't possibly be less than wonderful.
It was
> >*much* less than wonderful IMHO.  And that's the polite way of
putting it...

> Gosh yes. I would be fascinated to know what DWJ liked about it. I
mean, it
> had some qualities, but it certainly wasn't a book I would recommend
to anyone.

Me three!  In fact, now that I think of it, that would be a contender
for my Most Disappointed About Not Liking category; Hallie lent it to
me (having said she was disappointed in it) and I was not at all
impressed.  And Ms. Huff is capable of so much better - I enjoy her
urban fantasy as undemanding fluff, and I love her vampire mysteries
(even if Henry is a bit too much of a Nice Guy for my taste), and "The
Fire's Stone" is one of my favourite fantasy books ever; somewhat
fluffy, but does tend to make me cry...  I don't know *what* she was
doing when she wrote "Sing the Four Quarters"!

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"Where-e'er you find 'the cooling western breeze,'
In the next line, it 'whispers through the trees':
If crystal streams 'with pleasing murmurs creep,'
The reader's threaten'd (not in vain) with 'sleep'"
-Alexander Pope, "Essay on Criticism"