Best of 2001

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jan 2 19:22:03 EST 2002

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> Does anyone else obsess over owning particular editions of
> books--certain bindings, certain cover art?  Or is it just me?

I think I'm eligible for some kind of award in this area: I'm after a
particular edition of a novel by Barbara Hambly; if I showed you
pictures of the edition I want and the edition I have, they would look
exactly alike (same cover design, same cover illustration) except for
one small detail. But that small detail is enough to make me terribly
unhappy with the edition I have.

That's something of an aberration, though. Usually I'm not too fussed
about what a book *looks* like; and if I am, it's usually not "I want
edition X" but "I want an edition that's better than the appalling
edition I've got".

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."