Lackey

hemlocke hemlocke at fireandhemlock.net
Mon Feb 18 21:44:45 EST 2002

Hello

I'm throwing in my two cents' worth because quite a few Lackey books occupy
my shelf. Though there are days when I wonder why...

> I have just read her most recent Valdemar book (about Skif), and now I
> am rereading Oathbound, and I have to say that the contrast is
> startling. I thought it was just me getting jaded, but the writing is
> seriously worse in the later book.

I agree. Her writing is uneven at best - I loved the Last Herald Mage
trilogy and it is by far her best. All others generally do not come close.
If you want to read Lackey, stick with that. Among the more tolerable series
would be the Mage Storms. I have a soft spot for Elspeth, I don't know why.

Stay far far away from The White Gryphon and Arrows of the Queen. THAT
particular (Arrows) series seems to be a favourite with the fans but I have
always found them to be horrifically boring, to say the least. ANd Talia
bugs me with her goodness.

As for her non-Valdemar books, the Serpent's Shadow was a huge joke. Poor
characterisation coupled with one of the most stereotyped views of Indians
and Hinduism and a totally uninteresting romance got me seriously irritated.

One thing that bugs me about Lackey is that she cannot resist preaching her
personal values through her books - like her thinly disguised feminism. I've
nothing against feminism obviously, being female but please, do stop the
preaching.

That's my take on it :>
Cheers
Hemlocke