Library hold policy (was Re: freedom and necessity)

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Wed Feb 27 15:31:19 EST 2002

---Original Message From: Melissa Proffitt
> HOWEVER.  The way it works here, all the books on hold are in
> a room that's open to the public.  They stick a little slip
> of paper with the patron's name on it, and you go in and find
> them yourself.  And they only keep track of what you
> personally have waiting for you.  Theoretically, if I were
> eeeeevil, I could browse the shelves and take someone else's
> holds, and they wouldn't have a clue until the real person
> came along looking for their book.  I wonder if they'd be
> able to cross-reference the missing book to me....
>
> (They must have trouble with this when it comes to
> ultra-popular books, because when a new Harry Potter arrives,
> they keep all THOSE holds behind the desk.)

I don't know.  They're pretty technologically advanced.  They might have
those copies flagged to the user's account so that you'd get caught when
you tried to check the book out.  That doesn't explain the extra
paranoia on the Harry Potter books, though.  Unless they got tired of
catching people cheating...

Jacob