OT _The Thief_ - SPOILERS...

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Feb 27 13:39:26 EST 2002

Anita said...

> just a bit of spoiler space, although I do try not to give too much
away...

and a little more, to be on the safe side...
.
.
.
.
.
> I'm not sure about the cheating. OK, we're never told that he is (..
who he
> is .., for the sake of spoilers), but there are more and more clues
as the
> book goes on. Remember he was not only deliberately hiding it from
the
> reader, but from all the other characters too. I liked the
semi-Greek
> setting, and the names too.

Yes, and I don't know that it's necessarily the sort of thing he'd be
thinking of under the circumstances he's in - so if he's not thinking
of it, there's no reason for him to mention it.  We are, after all,
quite deeply in his head; there's an immediacy to his narrative,
almost as if he's telling it as the events happen, rather than looking
back on it.  It seems reasonable to me that he wouldn't mention it.

In fact, come to think of it, given his situation at the beginning and
even through most of the book - he's in fairly dire straits!  I think
a case could be made for his deliberately repressing/half-forgetting
who he really is, as the knowledge might be more harm than help to him
then.

I'll admit it was a shock though, when I got to the end - my first
reaction *was* that I'd been cheated, but then I thought about it and
decided I hadn't been. :-)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"Where-e'er you find 'the cooling western breeze,'
In the next line, it 'whispers through the trees':
If crystal streams 'with pleasing murmurs creep,'
The reader's threaten'd (not in vain) with 'sleep'"
-Alexander Pope, "Essay on Criticism"