OT _The Thief_ - SPOILERS...

Anita Graham amgraham at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Feb 27 08:15:48 EST 2002

> I've just finished reading _The Thief_ -- thanks to everyone who
> recommended
> it! I had a similar reaction to that described by someone--sorry, I know
> longer have the post and can't remember who--in that up until
> about halfway
> I felt, "Well, this is OK but it's not *that* good." By the end
> of the book
> I had fallen in love with the semi-Greek setting, the characters,
> everything. I have to agree with Melissa's comment about the
> author's having
> to cheat in order to surprise the reader. It's find for an author to
> withdraw information as long as the clues are hidden in the text, but IMO,
> it's cheating to withhold information that the protagonist
> already has, that
> the first-person narrator is deliberately hiding from the reader.

just a bit of spoiler space, although I do try not to give too much away...

I'm not sure about the cheating. OK, we're never told that he is (.. who he
is .., for the sake of spoilers), but there are more and more clues as the
book goes on. Remember he was not only deliberately hiding it from the
reader, but from all the other characters too. I liked the semi-Greek
setting, and the names too.

I particularly liked the way in which his encounter with Hephestia et al
changed him.

BTW, I can pick up the Queen of Attolia from Dymocks in Subi (suburban
Perth) tomorrow, so it's out in Aus.

Anita