DWJ: OT Books set at universities

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 20 20:07:30 EST 2002

>Heh heh. I know an English teacher who could do with that treatment. I might
>be wrong, since this is only based on one conversation with him, but he
>seemed to think that the only books worth reading were Grown Up and Real
>Life and Gritty, and that "children's books" are somehow below him.

So he's the guy who gives out the awards to all those gritty YA books, is he?

>The best books, in my opinion, are accessible to all ages, or a wide range
>of ages. Philip Pullman is a classic example of a misconception of target
>audience by publishers. "His Dark Materials" isn't really for children,
>although it has young protagonists and is accessible to children.

I imagine a lot of young readers may have an experience of Pullman which is
very different to adult readers. Like all those people who you talk to as
adults about Narnia, and they say "what do you mean it is Christian allegory?".

>"Doctor
>Who" suffers this too - it is often thought of as a children's series. The
>books have developed a long way from the TV show, and even that wasn't
>really "for children".

I found it way to scary to watch when I was a child, and only got into it
when my younger brother needed someone to watch it with him because it was
too scary.

Robyn