DWJ: OT Books set at universities

Caleb W SCWoody423 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 16 07:06:48 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Melissa Proffitt" <Melissa at Proffitt.com>
To: <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2002 7:18 AM
Subject: Re: DWJ: OT Books set at universities

> On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:30:00 -0500 (EST), lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu
wrote:
<snip>
> But my sister-in-law was just uninformed.  Active snobbery comes from
> something else: the desire to be superior to someone else.  There are a
few
> adults who would like to believe that reading YA fiction is an inferior
> mental exercise to reading "grownup" books.  These people should be locked
> in a closet with _Hexwood_ and sufficient food to survive on until they
> figure it out.  :)

Heh heh. I know an English teacher who could do with that treatment. I might
be wrong, since this is only based on one conversation with him, but he
seemed to think that the only books worth reading were Grown Up and Real
Life and Gritty, and that "children's books" are somehow below him.

The best books, in my opinion, are accessible to all ages, or a wide range
of ages. Philip Pullman is a classic example of a misconception of target
audience by publishers. "His Dark Materials" isn't really for children,
although it has young protagonists and is accessible to children. "Doctor
Who" suffers this too - it is often thought of as a children's series. The
books have developed a long way from the TV show, and even that wasn't
really "for children".

> Melissa Proffitt
> (rambling late at night)

Urk. Caleb Woodbridge - rambling at Saturday lunchtime.