DWJ: OT Books set at universities

Sat Feb 16 13:28:35 EST 2002

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002 22:12:22 +1100, Sally Odgers wrote:

>> along the same lines: ignorance and snobbery.  One man who had read some
>SF
>> in his teens said something like "once I figured out that all SF novels
>are
>> metaphors for real-life problems,
>
>Huh? *All*? He's nuts!

Yes he is.  But several people set him straight.  (Or, rather, pointed out
his error; I figure his little theory makes him happy.)  It was like he'd
discovered metaphor without discovering critical theory and postmodernism.
Hey, pal, if you look for metaphor, you're going to FIND it, DUH.

>My current dislike is the Personalities who Discover Harry Potter. They hold
>forth about it with absolutely no idea of the fantasy that predates it.
>"It's the best!" But they haven't "read the rest". Or anything, since
>Narnia.

I hate that a lot too.  Mostly because I feel sorry for them that they
*think* they know so much, and they just don't, and it's obvious to anyone
who really does know fantasy.  Oh, it reminds me of something that happened
a week ago.  I was sitting in the library doing research--it was actually
picture books, but the only free tables were in the YA section, so that's
where I was sitting.  I saw a librarian talking to a kid who apparently
wanted to read _The Lord of the Rings_, but of course all the copies are
checked out due to the movie's release.  So he was asking if there was
anything else that was *like* LoTR.  The librarian couldn't help him.  He
directed him to Lloyd Alexander and sort of left him there.  The kid stared
at the shelf, with no clue about where to go next, and eventually wandered
away to look at DragonLance novels.  I was about to help him, but since I'd
been eavesdropping I felt awkward about it--plus I had the feeling he would
have been embarrassed, by his pose.  But it's too bad.  The real shame is
that I happen to know that the library compiled a 20-volume list of good
fantasy novels for teens just last December, and that there had to be copies
around somewhere.  (I have Issues with recommending that *anyone* read Terry
Goodkind, but the rest of the list was good.)

Anyway, it's not exactly the same thing, but it's still sad.

Melissa Proffitt