On Being a Hot Babe (was Re: Hexwood -- Catchup)

Sat Feb 16 13:17:08 EST 2002

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002 11:14:50 +0000 (GMT), Elizabeth Parks wrote:

>Yes--but I think that it's important that Rupert's idea of Maree before he
>saw her was romantic.  He was hoping for somebody beautiful and, I think,
>meek--like a fairy tale princess (to go back to all those fairy tale
>elements).  She, on the other hand, was grown over with thorns inside and
>hair and nails outside--like a protection or a trap.  Maybe some of both.

I just read this part last night, and found out two interesting things about
Rupert:

1. His idealized concept of Maree didn't have a physical description, but
had strong suggestions of that meekness you describe...definitely someone
looking up to him.  After he's met her, he thinks about how he'd gotten this
whole idea of her being a damsel-in-distress because of her rotten aunt and
her dad's cancer and so forth.

2. In describing groups of people, he mentions how many of them are women
but not how many are men.  This happens twice: first when he goes to the
Koryfonic Empire after the bomb and is met by some soldiers, second when he
looks at Stan's list of potential Magids ("there were five names; two of
them were women.")  I am not making any assumptions about whether Rupert is
a chauvinist because I don't think that's what this means.  It was just
intriguing because, for one thing, he figures people can do the math, and
for another, it suggests that he notices the women first.  So probably just
the opposite of male chauvinism.  Or DWJ doing things differently again.  It
was interesting.

>And, um, I think my fingernails have gone all claw-like before.  They
>don't break, and despite my best efforts I can't bite them, so they just
>keep growing until I get fed up and rip them off (nail clippers don't work
>either, and I'm scared of them).  I seem to remember having, um, long
>nails once or twice that started to tinge yellow.  And I'm not going to go
>into too much detail here.

Thank you.  :)

Melissa Proffitt