OT Other Books

Sat Feb 16 13:06:00 EST 2002

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002 14:34:06 -0000, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>Melissa said...
>>
>> >Hamilton's main vampire (whose name I've forgotten) falls
>> >into category #2 - the EvilSexy vampire.  He's evil (or at least
>> >morally iffy), but frightfully sexy and dangerously attractive, and
>> >the female lead spends half her time fighting her attraction to him
>> >and the other half indulging in kinky sex scenes with him.  Anne
>Rice
>> >is the paramount writer of this type of vampire.
>>
>> I was about to write something about Buffy, but remembered that some
>of you
>> aren't watching the sixth season yet.  Carefully biting tongue and
>walking
>> away....<evil laughter fading into the distance>
>
>Grin.  I'm watching season 6; we just had the musical episode the
>other night.  I know what you're getting at. :-)

MWahahahaha.  It just gets better from there.  Hee hee.

>Oddly enough, though
>you're quite right that Spike falls into this category, it had never
>occurred to me (though Angel, especially in the first two seasons of
>Buffy, is a good example of "Ohhh, the Angst!").  But Joss Wheadon is
>a master of turning cliches into real people, if you see what I mean.

Of course.  In this case, I think Spike becomes a type rather than a
cliche--the truth upon which the cliche is based.  Because if we didn't have
originals, we couldn't have cliches.  It's a real tribute to Whedon's skill
as a writer.

>(Who else could have done a musical episode and not have it come out
>corny and stupid?)

Heh.  We almost didn't watch it when it first aired, fearing the worst.  I
don't feel like waiting for the series to be released season-by-season on
DVD; I just want a DVD of all my favorite episodes, starting with that
one....

Melissa Proffitt