OT Buffy

Sat Feb 16 13:02:16 EST 2002

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002 12:20:44 -0500 (EST), Kyla Tornheim wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Jacob Proffitt wrote:
>
>> We *love* the musical episode.  We cut the songs to CD so that we can
>> listen to them when we want.  Probably a no-no, but *might* qualify
>> under "fair-use".  Joss Whedon is a genius, no doubt about it.

>Eh, fair use. I downloaded them as mp3s. I mean, heck, if they ever
>release a CD of them, I'm there. I'm purchasing it. So...this way I keep
>the love of those songs alive. </rationalizing>

That's what we figured.  We did the CD as a gift for a friend who is
notoriously hard to shop for and who LOVED the musical episode.  Watching
his jaw drop for 58 seconds of silence was priceless.  (I'm definitely
buying the CD if they release it, if only because I'm sure the production
quality will be far better than ours was.)

>Did Tara's song (Under Your Spell) remind anyone else of filk they've
>listened to?
>
>I also loved how Joss managed to strike his usual balance between Serious
>Issues (Buffy's problems, Tara and Giles wanting to stay) and Silliness
>("I think this line's mostly filler").

"I'm asking you, please, no!
It isn't right, it isn't fair,
There was no parking anywhere,
I think that hydrant wasn't there...."

(Guess who had the job of downloading lyrics and then correcting all the
horrible mistakes the transcribers made? :)

And today, as we were helping to clean our church building, my brain
defaulted to Xander and Anya's duet as it frequently does.  That's just too
catchy a tune.

Melissa Proffitt