OT Other Books

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sat Feb 16 09:34:06 EST 2002

Melissa said...

> >Hamilton's main vampire (whose name I've forgotten) falls
> >into category #2 - the EvilSexy vampire.  He's evil (or at least
> >morally iffy), but frightfully sexy and dangerously attractive, and
> >the female lead spends half her time fighting her attraction to him
> >and the other half indulging in kinky sex scenes with him.  Anne
Rice
> >is the paramount writer of this type of vampire.
>
> I was about to write something about Buffy, but remembered that some
of you
> aren't watching the sixth season yet.  Carefully biting tongue and
walking
> away....<evil laughter fading into the distance>

Grin.  I'm watching season 6; we just had the musical episode the
other night.  I know what you're getting at. :-)  Oddly enough, though
you're quite right that Spike falls into this category, it had never
occurred to me (though Angel, especially in the first two seasons of
Buffy, is a good example of "Ohhh, the Angst!").  But Joss Wheadon is
a master of turning cliches into real people, if you see what I mean.
(Who else could have done a musical episode and not have it come out
corny and stupid?)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"Where-e'er you find 'the cooling western breeze,'
In the next line, it 'whispers through the trees':
If crystal streams 'with pleasing murmurs creep,'
The reader's threaten'd (not in vain) with 'sleep'"
-Alexander Pope, "Essay on Criticism"