OT Other Books

Gross Family argross at bigpond.net.au
Fri Feb 15 22:54:08 EST 2002

I (Ros) wrote:

> > I haven't yet read _Obsidian Butterfly_ though I intend to. I
> > loved the early Anita books, but I felt that after the first
> > couple, the violence started to become quite gratuitous and
> > quite sadistic. I haven't read _Kiss of Shadows_ yet, but
> > given that it's been the violence in the Anita books that
> > bothered me, not the sex, I'm interested to see how I feel
> > about it. I do agree with Dorian about objecting to porn
> > pretending to be fiction, though.

Jacob:

> Um, the violence *does* increase steadily.  _Obsidian Butterfly" is
> *very* violent, though more straight-forward than some of the others
> (i.e. less, um, I don't know, less seductive and more straightforward).
> If it's the violence that bothers you, it doesn't get any better and
> some of the books get rather worse.

I should have explained that I actually have read all of the Anita books up
to _Obsidian Butterfly_, and yes, I think they get steadily more violent
after the first few.

Thanks for the feeback about OB. I'll see how that goes before I tackle
_Narcissus in Chains_!

> > BTW, I had the same reaction as Jacob about the Huff _Blood_
> > books. I didn't bother getting any further than the first one
> > because I'd just been reading the Anita books, and the
> > characters and themes in the _Blood_ one felt so insipid in
> > comparison. But maybe it changes after the first book?
>
> It got worse in the second book.  Which is why I stopped there.  I
> should probably mention that I *like* _Summon the Keeper_ and I'm one of
> the very few people I know who enjoyed _The Second Summoning_.  By which
> I mean to say that I'm not anti-Huff, I just didn't like her vampire
> series.

I liked _Summon the Keeper_ as well. I felt it was a shame that Huff kept it
so deliberately light, despite some deeper themes that seemed to want to
emerge, but I loved it. I haven't read _The Second Summoning_ yet.

I haven't read _The Fire Stone_ yet, either. But I've very much  enjoyed the
books I *have* read of Huff's so far (except the _Blood_ one, which I didn't
love, but didn't hate, either).

> > The comments I've heard here are encouraging me to get to
> > _Obsisian Butterfly_ soon...
>
> Like I said above, be forewarned that it gets very bloody.  And I'll
> reiterate that I have a very high tolerance for that kind of thing.  The
> Anita Blake series violence didn't particularly disturb me.  Even the
> S&M in _Narcissus in Chains_ didn't bother me as much as the non-stop,
> out-of-character, tacked-on erotica.

Thanks for the warning, Jacob!

An excess of sex doesn't usually bother me--I'll usually just laugh if it's
silly or over the top. I am almost physically unable to deal with too much
violence, however...espcially when it's obviously sadistic. Since it
combines sex with violence, I don't know about S&M...it depends just how
sadistic it gets, I guess...

Ros