OT Other Books

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Fri Feb 15 21:34:51 EST 2002

---Original Message From: Gross Family
> Jacob replied:
>
> > Yup.  About how I reacted to "Kiss of Shadows".  I highly recommend
> > sticking with Anita until "Obsidian Butterfly".  It is,
> IMO, her very
> > best work.  Which just increases my frustration with her new
> > direction...
>
> I haven't yet read _Obsidian Butterfly_ though I intend to. I
> loved the early Anita books, but I felt that after the first
> couple, the violence started to become quite gratuitous and
> quite sadistic. I haven't read _Kiss of Shadows_ yet, but
> given that it's been the violence in the Anita books that
> bothered me, not the sex, I'm interested to see how I feel
> about it. I do agree with Dorian about objecting to porn
> pretending to be fiction, though.

Um, the violence *does* increase steadily.  _Obsidian Butterfly" is
*very* violent, though more straight-forward than some of the others
(i.e. less, um, I don't know, less seductive and more straightforward).
If it's the violence that bothers you, it doesn't get any better and
some of the books get rather worse.

> BTW, I had the same reaction as Jacob about the Huff _Blood_
> books. I didn't bother getting any further than the first one
> because I'd just been reading the Anita books, and the
> characters and themes in the _Blood_ one felt so insipid in
> comparison. But maybe it changes after the first book?

It got worse in the second book.  Which is why I stopped there.  I
should probably mention that I *like* _Summon the Keeper_ and I'm one of
the very few people I know who enjoyed _The Second Summoning_.  By which
I mean to say that I'm not anti-Huff, I just didn't like her vampire
series.

> The comments I've heard here are encouraging me to get to
> _Obsisian Butterfly_ soon...

Like I said above, be forewarned that it gets very bloody.  And I'll
reiterate that I have a very high tolerance for that kind of thing.  The
Anita Blake series violence didn't particularly disturb me.  Even the
S&M in _Narcissus in Chains_ didn't bother me as much as the non-stop,
out-of-character, tacked-on erotica.

Jacob Proffitt