OT Other Books

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Fri Feb 15 15:18:49 EST 2002

Jacob said...

> I can't read Tanya Huff's vampire books.  Too... I don't know...
> gimmicky?  This book is about werewolves, this book is about
mummies,
> yadda yadda yadda.  I read the first one and it was okay, but I
couldn't
> get past first couple of chapters of the second one.  Mr. Vampire
was
> just bland and I couldn't care about any of the characters.

I never much liked the second one, and rarely reread it...but I really
love the third!

> I *was* a *huge* fan of Laurell K. Hamilton.  I *love* the Anita
books.
> Unfortunately, though, she started believing her own hype.  I blame
all
> the sex-craved fanz who bought "Kiss of Shadows".

I bought that book.  I was disgusted.  I wanted a novel with faeries
and politicking and magic and PIs.  I got a thinly-disguised piece of
porn.  It's not that I necessarily mind porn (I read slash-fic!), but
I object to its masquerading as real fiction.  I'll probably read a
few more Anita Blake books from the library (I've only read the first
3 or 4), and then stop on Hamilton altogether.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"Where-e'er you find 'the cooling western breeze,'
In the next line, it 'whispers through the trees':
If crystal streams 'with pleasing murmurs creep,'
The reader's threaten'd (not in vain) with 'sleep'"
-Alexander Pope, "Essay on Criticism"