OT Other Books

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Fri Feb 15 10:32:26 EST 2002

Alex wrote:
>Sorry but I HATED it - luckily got it from the library.

Oh, that's all right, I forgive you for your lapse in taste ;-). It suited
my sense of humour, I think.

>Read a very weird book by Ann Halam a while ago - can't remember what it
was
>called but it was about a scientist doing genetic experiments on children
>and mutating them. It was really good until half way though when it all got
>too contrived and then we ended up with the all too convenient happy
ending.
>I found it difficult to read the bit where the girl's breastbone has
started
>to form into that of a bird and it begins to pierce her skin and cause
>intense pain.

Uck!

I've got a book recommendation, actually. I'm partway through a book from
the library (adult sf/fantasy section) called Point of Dreams by authors I'd
never heard of before, Melissa Scott and Lisa A. Barnett (everyone is now
going to tell me they've known about them for *years*, right?), which I
think is good. It's a mystery, set in a sort of alternate-history
Netherlands, during the Tulipmania period, where magic and astrology work
(and more women than men seem to be landowners/have high office). The heroes
are a "pointsman" (policeman) and his lover, who drills actors for fights in
plays. The Point of Dreams of the title is part of the city- the areas are
called Point of Dreams (where the theatres are), Point of Hopes, City Point,
Temple Point, and so on. It's the second of a series, apparently, and I wish
I'd read the first (Point of Hopes), because this one does stand well on its
own but I suspect the society would have been explained a little bit more in
the first. (I mean, they do nice passing references and you pick up what's
going on, I just reckon they might have gone a bit slower in the first one.)
It doesn't "feel like" a fantasy to me, (although the system of magic and
how it fits into the society is very nice) or like some of the wilder
alternate histories I've read, it feels like a really well-done historical
novel. There's lots of nice details, the atmosphere is very good, I like the
characters, I think I know whodunnit but I'm not sure, and altogether I'd
say it was worth picking up if you see it.

Jennifer
Book Reviews R Us