OT: Book suggestions

Corrick, Georgia g.corrick at southampton.gov.uk
Tue Feb 12 04:28:34 EST 2002

Dorian said:

> A "girls' book" (i.e. about the experiences of a girl/young woman -
> aged say 18 to 20) set at a British university pre WWI (and preferably
> written during that period).  My idea is to do a "compare and
> contrast" with "Daddy-Long-Legs".

You could try a recent novel _The Brass and the Velvet_ by Christabel
Burniston. It's her first novel - she's in her 90s. It's partly based on her
mother's experiences I think. It's about two girls who go to medical school
in Edinburgh at the turn of the century, after first attending classes in a
working men's college. It's a bit fairy-story like - too much goes right for
the characters and they are too nice, so you end up wishing that something
bad would happen. It has some nice detail about the period, but it is
extremely long and takes some perseverence to get through. Don't know how
widely available it would be either.

Georgia