OT: Book suggestions

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon Feb 11 18:18:31 EST 2002

Dorian:

>A "girls' book" (i.e. about the experiences of a girl/young woman -
>aged say 18 to 20) set at a British university pre WWI (and preferably
>written during that period).  My idea is to do a "compare and
>contrast" with "Daddy-Long-Legs".  Catherine, your suggestion sounds
>intriguing, but the list in question is for readers of girls' stories,
>so the book probably isn't appropriate (bother!).  I have a nice list
>of recommendations somewhere, but unfortunately cannot get hold of any
>of the books!

That's hard!  _Testament of Experience_ is post WW1 (just)
unfortunately.  Dredging the bottom of the barrel definitely, but in
Gillian Avery's _The Warden's Niece_, the girl wants to be a
professor, and so runs away to stay with her uncle at Canterbury
College, Oxford.  Not written in the period, either, but if you got
desperate...

Hallie.