OT: Book suggestions

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Mon Feb 11 14:20:03 EST 2002

Elizabeth said...

> >and then Dorian added:
> ><snip>
> >>  I'm supposed to be leading a discussion on such on another list,
in a
> >>  couple of months' time (and if anyone has a book set at a
British
> >>  college/uni in the early 20th century that I could borrow, I'd
be very
> >>  grateful!).
> >
> >Dorian, is Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers too late for you? (set
in the
> >1930s I think).

Yes, it is really.  I'm looking for something more pre-WWI-ish.

...and Hallie added...

> Great minds.  Good thing you can read though, as I hadn't even
> noticed the "early" bit, and was also going to suggest _Lucky Jim_.
> Another possibility might be _Testament of Experience_, though I
> haven't read it recently enough to remember how much of it is in
uni.
> I liked _Testament of Youth_ better, though they're both good.
>
> Any more info on the kind of thing you need, Dorian?

A "girls' book" (i.e. about the experiences of a girl/young woman -
aged say 18 to 20) set at a British university pre WWI (and preferably
written during that period).  My idea is to do a "compare and
contrast" with "Daddy-Long-Legs".  Catherine, your suggestion sounds
intriguing, but the list in question is for readers of girls' stories,
so the book probably isn't appropriate (bother!).  I have a nice list
of recommendations somewhere, but unfortunately cannot get hold of any
of the books!

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"Where-e'er you find 'the cooling western breeze,'
In the next line, it 'whispers through the trees':
If crystal streams 'with pleasing murmurs creep,'
The reader's threaten'd (not in vain) with 'sleep'"
-Alexander Pope, "Essay on Criticism"