OT: Book suggestions

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Mon Feb 11 06:21:03 EST 2002

Novels set in universities:

I second Gaudy Night.
One of Ruth Dudley Edwards's mysteries (Matricide at St Martha's) is set at
a mythical Cambridge college c. 1998. Her books are all good, and funny, but
I find her later ones a bit unsubtle in satirising people she doesn't agree
with, and I think this one is a bit like that wrt Women's Studies. (It has
the same line opening and closing the book- "'Balls!' said the Bursar.")

Laurie Taylor has a humour column in the Times Higher Education Supplement
about life at Poppleton University Sociology Dept, which is painfully
accurate. Several collections have come out, I think The Tuesday Afternoon
Time Immemorial Committee is one of them. They aren't really easy to find
but if one is available are well worth getting.

Edmund Crispin's detective, Gervase Fen, is an Oxford don but I don't think
any of the crimes happen in the university.
Um, I think Fay Weldon's Letters To Alice, On First Reading Jane Austen
concerns the niece's university career, but it isn't really set there.
The first Earthsea book?
I'm sure I've read something with a university librarian as a main character
but I have no recollection of it.
Jennifer