Deep Secret ( Was Re: On Being a Hot Babe (was Re: Hexwood --

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Feb 9 19:34:21 EST 2002

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Ven wrote:

> the motif of a person travelling with a letter that,
> unknown to them, instructs the recipient to kill them

Another one I've just come across: the ancient Greek hero Bellerophon
was sent by the King of Argos to convey a letter to the King's
father-in-law, the King of Lykia; the letter instructed him to have
Bellerophon killed.

Unlike in the Grimm story and _Hamlet_, no kindly fate intervened
along the way; but when Bellerophon kept defeating the monsters that
were supposed to eat him, the king decided the gods were trying to
tell him something, and let him go.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."