OT: Book suggestions

Fiona Haggart F.haggart at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 8 22:10:10 EST 2002

> >This is a plea for book suggestions: a co-worker of my sister's is taking
> >a Higher Education course and is required to choose a fiction book set at
> >a university to write a paper on. I gather the idea is to analyze the way
> >the university is portrayed. Naturally, _Year of the Griffin_ leaped to
> >mind (hey, a DWJ reference),

Assuming that it doesn't have to be children's fiction, I'd suggest 'A Very
Peculiar Practice' by Andrew Davies. It's the novelisation of the BBC series
of the same name, a dark comedy revolving around a university medical
practice in a UK 'redbrick' university. Both it and the sequel cover a wide
range of university issues.

Fiona