OT: Book suggestions

Fri Feb 8 17:04:13 EST 2002

On Fri, 08 Feb 2002 16:06:55 -0500 (EST), lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu wrote:

>First book suggestion topic: months and months ago, I asked for some
>suggestions for "humorous books," and I got a lot of votes for the
>Bagthorpe series.  I wanted to thank the many who suggested these books
>(they were *hilarious*, and are now on my "must buy" list), but i also
>wanted to ask if there are only 7 books in the series.  I read the last
>one I have been able to locate, and it didn't seem like she wrapped up
>anything.

The last one *I* know of is _The Bagthorpe Triangle_ which does not tie up
ANY loose ends.  I had to get it on audiotape from the library.

>Second book suggestion:  I believe it was Becca a few weeks ago who
>mentioned the "Exiles" books by  Hilary Mckay.  I really enjoyed these
>books a lot and second the recommendation.

Me too!  I have decided that my grandchildren will call me Big Grandma
regardless of my physical size.  The two younger sisters remind me so much
of my little girls it's scary.

>This is a plea for book suggestions: a co-worker of my sister's is taking
>a Higher Education course and is required to choose a fiction book set at
>a university to write a paper on. I gather the idea is to analyze the way
>the university is portrayed. Naturally, _Year of the Griffin_ leaped to
>mind (hey, a DWJ reference), and the Unseen University of the Pratchet
>books, and Tam Lin, and Moo by Jane Smiley, but I thought I would ask if
>anyone else has suggestions, partly for my sister's friend, but partly
>for me, because after having re-read Tam Lin, I would really like another
>"university" book.  Thanks in adavance,

Probably everyone will say _A College of Magics_ by Caroline Stevermer.
Unfortunately I can't think of anything else right now.

Melissa Proffitt
(_Moo_ is one of my favorite Jane Smiley books, though I liked _Horse
Heaven_ also)