Deep Secret ( Was Re: On Being a Hot Babe (was Re: Hexwood --

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 7 20:35:41 EST 2002

After much fascinating stuff from Dorian and Hallie
about the Beauty and the Beast connection
Hallie wrote

Yes, that's what struck me - a lot of Maree's initial
unattractiveness seems tied up with all the things
done to her - her
position as poor relation in the family (that's
Cinderella again but
still), the dreariness of her outlook, and Janine
makes a wonderful evil
wizard!  And the way Maree comes back from Babylon
transformed is such an
interesting play on the usual fairy-tale
transformation.

lots of > missing sorry

Such a lot of fairy tale motifs tumbling out of DS
that had simply not occurred to me before (please
imagine Ven doing forehead hitting thing). Janine
seems to radiate wicked stepmothers/bad fairy
godmother memes --
Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, we have already
mentioned. The way Maree is lured to the homeworld,
where she is to be ambushed, by a message, suggests
the motif of a person travelling with a letter that,
unknown to them, instructs the recipient to kill them
that occurs in at least one fairy tale (anyone
remember which one I am thinking of -- bandits go to
rob this guy in his sleep and, finding only the
letter, take pity on him and rewrite it to say he is
to be treated well).

=====
Ven

.......... almost everyone is boring some kind of reader
or other.

Pamela Dean Dyer-Bennet