Polly and Nina (FIre and Hemlock, was Hexwood)

Sophie Liebregts s_liebregts at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 09:49:39 EST 2002

 --- Nat Case <ncase at hedbergmaps.com> wrote: > >On
Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

> >>  girl".  So I thought it interesting that DWJ set
> these two
> >>  descriptions up as strongly contrasting, and
> then had Polly envying
> >>  Nina's being fat and "the fat, pink staring
> look" Nina had without
> >>  her glasses.
> >>
> >>  Maybe there are tons of you out there who WERE
> extremely pretty
> >>  little girls, and did desperately envy less
> attractive ones, and it
> >>  just seemed unusual to me?
>
> Kyla responded:
>
> >I think the point is that Polly a) is a bit weird
> and b) doesn't think
> >much of adults/conventions. It seems like she's
> sick of everyone saying,
> >"You're such a pretty little girl!" and trying to
> pinch her cheek. She
> >wants to look interesting, which Nina does; maybe
> she wants to look some
> >way that won't lead to people patronizing her.
> >
> >I always pictured Nina's eyes as slightly bulgy in
> that really fascinating
> >way. :^)
> >
> >Also, there's always the appeal of wanting to look
> how you don't. This is
> >why there companies that make curling irons and
> straightening lotions and
> >potions and hair dye, plus all sorts of other
> things.

Sorry to be late, but I just had to reply to this one.
I always thought it was the confidence that makes Nina
enviable in Polly's eyes. She doesn't seem to have any
self doubt and that is one of the most powerful ways
of appearing attractive. The downside of this is that
she is a bit of an ego and waltzes straight over
Polly's and others feelings. I think I have met quite
a few similar people in "real life".

Sophie