Looks in Fire and Hemlock

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Thu Feb 7 07:20:11 EST 2002

And Tom as a
> tortoise. (And then the next time Polly meets him she notices that she has
> been remembering him as a tortoise, but actually he looks like a
reasonable
> person.)

This got me, too, the first time I read it, way back when. I'd been thinking
of Tom as middle aged, just as Polly did, then I realised he wasn't.

> picturing. This also made me wonder if she's plump at the funeral because
> she's just absorbed the life of the woman who died, or something nasty
like
> that.

Now that *is* nasty.

>Spookily good book.

Yes, it's brilliant. This one, Howl and Deep Secret seem to me to be the
pinnacle of plotting. I can only bow my head in awe.

Sallyo.