Hexwood again

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Feb 6 22:56:11 EST 2002

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Gross Family wrote:

> Paul wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure that's true in Mordion's case, though. Perhaps he did
> > have an inherent strength, but as I recall it the key factor was
> > the support of his friends, counteracting Reigner One's attempts
> > to keep his servants alone and afraid.
>
> Hmm. Yes, I agree the support of his friends was important. But both
> he himself and his friends seemed to somehow avoid being completely
> brainwashed, to retain a sense of their own integrity deep down. At
> least, that's how I remember it--maybe my memory is wrong.

Mordion certainly managed to retain a sense of himself deep down, but
I got the impression that he couldn't have done it without the support
of his Voices (when I said "the support of his friends", I meant the
Voices as much as I did the other trainee Servants).

We don't know whether any of the other trainee Servants managed to
keep a deep-down sense of self, since none of them got a chance to
say. But I don't think any of them got that far, because they all
flunked training at a point where they still had an up-front sense
of self.

-snip-

> > I don't think Orban's cruel, just arrogant and a bit stupid. The
> > stupidity could be inherent, or not; but the arrogance is
> > definitely a product of his upbringing as the next Chief of The
> > Best Mound On The Moor. The other significant factor in what he
> > did was his prejudices about Dorigs, which again is an upbringing
> > thing.
>
> Thanks for the name--of course, Orban! I seem to remember Orban's
> arrogance leading directly to his quite callously killing the Dorig
> in the beginning.

I'm not sure if "callous" is the right word - though it's better than
"cruel"; Orban doesn't do it deliberately to be nasty.

Rereading the scene, the real problem is that Orban can't stand to be
wrong. He realises pretty quickly that he's making a fool of himself,
but rather than admit it he has to forge on until he reaches a point
where he can convince himself that he did do the right thing.
Having demanded that the Dorig hand over his collar, he can't give up
until he has the collar, otherwise he'd be admitting that he was wrong
to make the demand. And the only way he can get the collar is over
it's owner's dead body.

His prejudices are important as well, come to think of it. It's his
belief that Dorigs aren't real people, and therefore can't own collars
like real people, that gets him into the fix in the first place; and
without that belief he would have been less willing to kill the Dorig,
even to save his pride.

And of course his arrogance is part of it too, since it all began with
him trying to make his sister exclaim over how superior he was.

Um. What were we talking about again?  :)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."