Hexwood again

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Feb 6 12:34:21 EST 2002

What an interesting topic, Ros!

I'm kind of coming at this after others have responded to it, and I
sort of agree with what you've said and what everyone has replied so
far.  You wanted to hear what other people saw about this subject, so
here's my take to add to the others.

I agree that Mordion and Polly come through appalling
childhoods/experiences *relatively* unscathed, and certainly as
decent human beings.  But in all the examples in DWJ that come to
mind, their survival seems to depend on there being something or
someone to help.  Mordion has the four voices (Vierann's especially),
and also has the need and ability to help the other trainees.  I
think both were pretty crucial.  Polly has Granny, who's not perfect,
but certainly provides stable adult support and affection, and Tom.
I might be stretching this way too far here, but I think it's also
important that Granny is able to get support from Social Services so
that she can give Polly a home.

Conversely, we see nothing about what makes Laurel such a stinker,
but we do have Seth, whose situation is really unbearable.  He also
has NO ONE to offer him affection or any idea that there might be an
alternative to being a taker. Even Orm - it's only a tiny glimpse, as
we're rarely in his head, but there is the little bit about his
hating Martellian most of all for not rejecting him for being ugly,
and a half-breed, or whatever he says.

I guess if I had to sum up the general position I see in DWJ, it
would be something which generally says that you can't sit back and
opt to be "bad" (shorthand for a lot of things) just because you had
a tough childhood, BUT, which also has understanding that people need
help, support, someone to show them at least the possibility of
choosing the tough path to being a hero.  So it's not a total
"nature" theory, while being a bit farther from the "nurture" than
many might be.

All 100% my personal opinion, of course.

Hallie.