Hexwood again

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Wed Feb 6 07:48:12 EST 2002

> attitudes, I still think that they seem to be born with some inborn
> temperament--they are not just blank slates. But in particular, I was
> wondering if it seemed to other people, as it does to me, that this is the
> case in DWJ's novels, or if I'm building a case on too few examples.

I think you're right. DWJ people are very much *themselves*, and quite a few
are born into destinies of some kind. Only she might be looking at the
notion, sort of sideways, that what doesn't break you will make you
stronger.

Before I ever read Hexwood, I wrote a book about a genetically engineered
young man who was bred and trained as a "recovery agent". He was brought up
believing he owed society for creating and keeping him. When I read Hexwood,
I found definite echoes in Mordian.

Sallyo.