Hexwood again

Gross Family argross at bigpond.net.au
Wed Feb 6 07:23:52 EST 2002

I wrote:

>  overall she seems to take the view that people
> > > are the way they are because of some inner temperament or perhaps
> > > some inherent moral sense.

Sally replied:

> I believe that too, I think. Otherwise, why did my sister and I turn out
> bookish with special interest in photography (her) and fantasy (me) while
> profu\oundly hating sport? Our paretns were both very keen on sport, and
> very good at it. And it wasn't aversion therapy, either. They never
bothered
> *us* with it, having noted, early on, that we were totally anti.
>
> And my two children, brought up by the same parents, in the same
> environment, are also very different. One is placid, fairly easy going and
> works with the long-term in view, while the other is want-it-now and
> contentious. One reads sf and fantasy, the other reads magazines. One
loves
> computers, the other would just as soon they didn;t exist. One has
volatile
> friendships, the other has long term friendships with people he's known
for
> years. I could go on.

I agree, too, to a large extent--my kids also are very different from each
other. At least, even if environment can have a strong effect on children's
attitudes, I still think that they seem to be born with some inborn
temperament--they are not just blank slates. But in particular, I was
wondering if it seemed to other people, as it does to me, that this is the
case in DWJ's novels, or if I'm building a case on too few examples.

Ros

Ros